Thursday, July 2, 2009

i n c e n t i v e s (III)

OK, I'm typing away again. I want to write about the very first steps I took before buying the first ducks at the farm.
Initially I wanted to integrate the duck farm on the rice fields. The ducks eat insects without munching into the rice plants and they fertilize. When rainy season approached I prepared the rice fields to hold the ducks, fencing, fresh water and shelter. Turned out that our rice farmer neighbor, who never used pesticides, was now going to use them. This is not good for the ducks, they die, so I had to rethink. At this time I had 34 ducks ready to walk on the rice fields, and about 200 on the preparation farm. I'll return to explain about the preparation farm later.

I found a different property, thankfully this belongs to my fiancée. There is now a forest to my disposal, 2 Hectares (nearly 5 Acres) of forest, natural shade, access to clean water, open grass areas and insects. This area can be used for at least 1000 ducks, perhaps more. And there is more land that we can rent, with a low price tag, in the neighboring area. Another feature is that it's all isolated from people and traffic. Couldn't be better.
The only negative thing is that there is no electricity. I'm looking into getting a windmill that will generate electricity. With the windmill I will have to be able to store the charge with batteries. This can turn out quite expensive but it's better than a gasoline or diesel driven generator for electricity. Perhaps I can get more effect out of the gasoline engine, but the noise and the cost for gasoline and the maintenenace of it is way way too steep.
To make sense of the word and its definition; ecologic, I'd better stick to wind or solar power. Both solutions come out expensive, that's not too good.
Right now I'm sketching on the idea of building my own windmill, not buying one off the shelf, I think it will work out real good!

No comments:

Post a Comment