Wednesday, July 1, 2009

i n c e n t i v e s (II)


Picking up the keyboard where I left it last...
So, after careful evaluation I decided to move to Laos. I've been living here for the last four months. I love it.
It's very dynamic to say the least. Incredible poverty and the social classes, yes; there are Soviet flags hanging everywhere, so I may stick to the word of 'classes', are getting more and more apart. Super class vs. Extremely poor class. Day by day more and more beggars are showing up on the streets. Children, women with children, old women. These are people from the country side, East of the Mekong river living in the forests who sought a better future in the larger city of Savannakhet. Hmmm... it's going to get worse. Social welfare in the footprints of communism and workers' movements; never. Sink or swim.

After about a month of planning I decided to start investing. At first I wanted to start a chicken farm. Which later turned out, of various reasons which I will return to explain later on, to be a ecologic duck farm.
I don't regret it. Ducks are lovely animals and I had no prior knowledge in how to even start a duck farm, and less about how to run it. I read and studied as much material I could overcome in short time. And as of now I have over 300 ducks.
They are growing well, with various results of course, but I had several great components that made my incentive to be a future business that may change things within a short period of time. An overall objective I have is to be able to run a business so that I can survive here. The other objective is to find a sustainable solution to 'clean up' the ducks sold at local markets here in Savannakhet. Cleaner and healthier ducks will lead to a safer environment for the people who live here. So my work may have great impact in the future; in the very nearby future, I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment